24-hour Emergency Services Hotline 909-993-4296
Water Damage Tips from SHOWCASE Total Cleaning & Restoration Services.
SHOWCASE Total Cleaning and Restoration Services, realizes that wet carpet, flood damage, flooded basements, water intrusion, water damage, standing water and other water related problems often come as a shock, and can be a traumatic experience for homeowners and their families. Here are a few water damage tips you may find helpful in waiting for one of our water damage technicians to arrive.
DO’s to help facilitate less damage and cross contamination as a result of standing water/water intrusion.
- SHUT OFF THE SOURCE OF WATER IF POSSIBLE
- Turn off the circuit breakers supplying electricity to wet areas.
- Unplug and remove any small electrical devices on/or at wet areas.
- Watch slipping hazards when walking/transitioning from wet carpet to hard surfaces.
- Remove all valuables and art/paintings to a safe dry place.
- Remove any loose rugs (area rugs) from wet area and place on dry surface (concrete/tile floor).
- Remove any items that will absorb water, books, magazines, clothing, etc.
- Place aluminum foil between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- If cushions/pillows get wet, remove from area and prop up in standing position.
- Remove as much standing water as possible, use a wet vacuum, rags, towels or whatever you can find that will help absorb the water.
- Open wet cabinet doors and drawers. Do not force doors open if impeded by swelling.
- If possible, open windows in cool temperatures and turn on air conditioning in warmer temperatures.
DON’TS while waiting for your water damage technician to arrive.
- Do not turn ceiling fans on when the ceiling is wet.
- Do not leave wet fabrics in place. Dry them as soon as possible.
- Do not attempt to clean or blot dry any wet colored fabrics or other potentially color staining fibers.
- Do not leave furniture on wet carpet, if at all possible remove or block furniture immediately. Water will absorb in the wood and stain the flooring/carpet.
- Do not leave wet items that are metal or steel as they can cause rust stains to other materials they are in touch with.
- Do not try "do it yourself" water intrusion. You are urged to call a professional as standing water will absorb in building materials. Proper professional moisture reading equipment is paramount in remediating water intrusion. If not dried to a dry standard "as soon as possible" you can be causing further, more expensive concerns, such as damaging building materials, odors, fungi, mold.
- Please call SHOWCASE Total Cleaning & Restoration Services, LLC for your water damage cleanup needs. You will be happy you did!